Physicians & Surgeons
Arthroscopy: Hip, Knee, Shoulder, Elbow, and Ankle
- Ligament Reconstruction
- Tendon Repair
- Cartilage Restoration
Full and Partial Joint Replacement: Knee, Shoulder
- Partial knee replacement; MAKOplasty
- Total knee replacement
- Computer-assisted knee surgery
- Total shoulder replacement
- Shoulder Hemiarthroplasty with Glenoid Ream and Run
Orthopedic Surgery and Primary Care Sports Medicine
- Operative and Non-Operative Treatment of the Athlete.
- We specialize in helping people who are on-the-go stay healthy and active.
- Lower extremity: Hip, knee, ankle, and foot
- Upper extremity: Shoulder, elbow, hand, and wrist
- Non-surgical treatment of the spine
Diagnostic Musculoskeletal Ultrasound
Musculoskeletal ultrasound (MSK US) is a completely safe, versatile technique that uses sound waves to create an image (no radiation is involved). MSK US can be used to image any patient presenting with a complaint arising within the soft tissues of the musculoskeletal system. MSK US is good for the evaluation and diagnosis of abnormalities of:
- Rotator cuff, biceps tendon
- Finger and hand tendons and ligaments
- Elbow tendons and ligaments
- Carpal tunnel
- Foot and ankle tendons and ligaments
- Achilles tendon
- Plantar fascia
- Patellar and Quadriceps tendons
- Iliopsoas tendon dysfunction (snapping hip)
- Trochanteric bursitis
- Gluteus minimus and medius tendons
MSK US can also be used to evaluate a palpable soft tissue mass to determine if it is a simple cyst or warrants further workup.
Ultrasound Guided Injections
MSK US is also an excellent method for guiding therapeutic procedures. Under direct ultrasound guidance, physicians can directly place a needle into a joint, bursa or tendon sheath to remove fluid or inject medication exactly where it needs to go, with image documentation.
PRP: Platelet Rich Plasma Injection
PRP is a rapidly emerging technique showing exciting potential with osteoarthritis of the knee, shoulder and hip, rotator cuff tears, chronic plantar fasciitis, pelvic pain and instability, , tennis elbow, tendonitis, and ligament sprains.
- How does PRP therapy help?
- The body’s first response to soft tissue injury is to deliver platelet cells
- Packed with growth and healing factors, platelets initiate repair and attract the critical assistance of stem cells
- PRP therapy’s natural healing process intensifies the body’s efforts by delivering a higher concentration of platelets
- To create PRP therapy, a small sample of your blood is drawn (similar to a lab test sample) and placed in a centrifuge that spins the blood at high speeds, separating the platelets from the other components
- The concentrated platelet rich plasma (PRP) is then injected into and around the point of injury, jump-starting and significantly strengthening the body’s natural healing signal
- Because your own blood is used, there is no risk of a transmissible infection and a very low risk of allergic reaction
Viscosupplementation agents are preparations that have hyaluronic acid, which is injected into the knee joint to relieve pain associated with osteoarthritis. Joints affected by osteoarthritis have less hyaluronic acid, which is naturally present in the synovial fluid. Hyaluronic acid acts as a lubricant and allows bones to move smoothly without rubbing against each other. Viscosupplementation agents also improve joint movement.
In March 2013, the American Academy of Neurology (AAN) updated its 1997 guidelines on the evaluation and management of sports concussion. A major change is the removal of return-to-play recommendations. The current recommendation for athletes who have sustained a concussion is immediate removal from play. Return to play should not be allowed until after assessment by a healthcare professional. Young athletes should be managed even more conservatively; their symptoms and neurocognitive performance take longer to improve after a concussion.
We provide sports physicals for any athlete 9th grade and older.
Our athletic trainers/physician extenders provide proper fitting of over the counter (OTC) bracing, custom bracing, custom thermoplastic protective pads and splints, sport specific casting and modification of OTC orthotics.
Idaho Sports Medicine Institute has state of the art digital radiographic equipment on site. If you have x-rays from another physician please bring them to your scheduled appointment. When needed, patients are able to obtain CD copies of their x-rays.